In case you're wondering how I made the Euro shams in our guest bedroom, I'll tell ya!
Okay, I'm not real sure about how to successfully do this "how-to" thing, but I'll try.
To make two Euro Shams you'll need:
- Two euro sham pillow forms. (about 26 x 26)
- 1.5 yds fabric for the front of pillow (fabric A) (or about a yard of fabric if fabric width is 54 in. or greater). I would suggest something upholstery weight, but it's not mandatory.
- 2 yds fabric for the back of the pillow (fabric B) (If you use something really cheap, like unbleached muslin, like I did, you may want to think about doubling the amount and double layering it for durability)
- 6.5 yrds of pom-pom trim (or other trim of your choice)
- Thread that matches your back pillow fabric
Okay, here goes nothin...
(To make things simple these instructions are for 1 euro sham. If you are making two, do everything twice!)
1. Cut out a 27"x 21" and a 27"x11" piece of Fabric B.
2. Iron them (and starch if you think your fabric needs a little extra help).
3. Fold under 1" on the 1 long side of each peice and pin. Blind hems are too much trouble in my opinion so just make sure your thread matches and just sew a straight light to hem them under.
4. Cut out a piece of Fabric A that is 27" x 27".
5. Lay out your hemmed pieces of Fabric B, both pieces facing right-sides-together with your square of Fabric A. The hemmed edges of Fabric B should be towards the center, and the panels should overlap.
6. Pin a 27" strip of the trim in between the two pieces, lining up all three edges. The decorative part of the trim should be towards the center of your square.
7. Adjust your needle to the left.
11. Repeat along all four sides of the square, so that one of the pieces of Fabric B is overlapping the other to create an opening to slide your pillow form in.
12. Clip the corners, without clipping through your seam.
13. Turn right side out and Voila! (Or if you're like me, this is the point when you discover something has gone tragically wrong and you have to rip out several seams and do them again). Stuff your pillow form inside and enjoy!