Monday, September 26, 2011

The Stripe Type

I'm very late posting this, but I got super motivated over Memorial Day weekend and striped up our little hallway!  

I love stripes and had thought for a long time that I wanted to do stripes somewhere in our house, maybe a bedroom.   For some reason, I had never thought of our hallway until I went to, my sister, Emily's house and saw what she had done in a little hallway in her house.  She is super crafty and did this with stamps!

A few step-by-step pics...


I decided on 6" stripes.  I figured that was going to leave the least amount of awkward leftover space.  At the very top, there is about 7-8" inches of wall color.  In a small hallway like this people are looking down a lot more than they are looking up, so I started my stripes at the baseboards and left the extra space for the top.  It's not noticeable to me at all now.  

First, I taped out my lines, finding a happy medium between truly level and what looked right to my eye.  Our house is old and un-level, and I often find what looks right to my eye is the better guide.  Something can be "level" but if it's not parallel with the baseboards and's not gonna look right.  Also, a note for dummies...the stripes should continue straight through doorways and come out the same color on the other side.  

Next, I painted over my tape with the wall-color, Benjamin Moore Coastal Fog, to prevent my accent stripe color from bleeding.  

Then, I painted my second color, which is my trim color- Benjamin Moore Sandy Hook Gray.  But, before painting the second color, I put Xs on the stripes that would be painted to make sure they would work out right and not leave me with too much tone-on-tone trim/stripe action.  However, a little of this was inevitable.  I also did this to prevent dumb mistakes...which are always a strong possibility. 

Then, I let it sit for about 6 hours, peeled away the tape, and VOILA!

All I can say is...I'm glad I did this hallway and not a bedroom cause it was TEDIOUS and time consuming!

Thanks for checking in!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Nursery that is All BOY!

I've had a blast working with one of my clients on this nursery.  It is her fourth child and she has been-there-done-that with sweet blue/white, pink/white nurseries.  This round she wanted to do something different and go all BOY.

The room looked like this before for baby #3...

The inspiration for the nursery started with two things I found at Scott's Antique Market in Atlanta.

The first is this fabulous lamp made from reclaimed parts from a John Deere Tractor factory.

The second were these old yarn spindles.  With these spindles I was imagining peg hooks or some sort of shelving.  I wasn't quite sure, but I knew we had to have some to play with for the room.  
These elements definitely got us going on a rustic track (which I always love!).

We were also inspired by the dog silhouettes in this fabric.  We wanted to use this fabric, but kept getting stumped on how to incorporate it into the rest of our developing plan.

After exploring a few fabric options, the client stumbled across this fabric that she loved, and we knew we wanted to incorporate it in a strong way.   

She already had a glider in this fabric from her first child...

So I paired these three fabrics for the crib, with the buffalo check glider.  I was still looking for a way to incorporate the dog silhouette idea. 

Piece by piece the room came to together, until it looked like this...

Circles are a repeating element from the polka-dot crib bumper, to the spindle shelves, and the circular parts of John Deere lamp.

I made this wall-hanging by running strips of burlap behind these inexpensive clip-together glass borderless frames and hanging the rows from sturdy hooks to form a grid. 

I used the tiny polka-dot print for the changing pad as well as the piping and ties on the crib-bumper.

I was concerned that the beigey/buff cream in the buffalo check would clash with the whiter creams in the other fabrics, but it's really not noticeable in the room.  Everything meshes together very well. 

Layering lots of shape, sizes, and textures of items gives these shelves a "lived in" look.

We chose simple, inexpensive window treatments to balance the price of custom bedding.  It turned out to be a nice break for the eye in the room.

I blew up a silhouette of a lab from the dog fabric that we loved, made a stencil and then painted this canvas with a simple cream background and the chocolate dog.  I hung it with a strip of burlap and a sturdy hook to give it more height.    

We painted the crib the soft sage color of the bed skirt to soften the look.  

Now this little guy is here, and he is LOVING his room. 

Thanks for reading!


Related Posts with Thumbnails